Subject: Re: Lack of bootable installation CD-ROM considered harmful
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/03/1999 22:14:01
On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 06:38:46PM -0800, Greg Earle wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 04:07:48PM -0800, Greg Earle wrote:
> >> that you can netboot it (uh, I only have the SS1 and I only have one
> >> monitor, am I supposed to go buy a VT100 somewhere?).
> >
> > You could connect it with a null-modem to the SS1 and use cu or tip as a
> > serial console.  I'm running an IPX headless right now, using ZTerm on a Mac
> > for the console (through a convoluted cable)
>
> How convoluted is the cable?  My Mac's serial port isn't being used ...

Well, ideally it'd just be Sun->Mac->Null->Mac.
But mine looks like this (because I made it out of what I had around):
Sun->PC->Gender changer->Null modem->PC->Mac where the Sun->Pc and Pc->Mac
parts are cables that go from one to the other. I think this is
intelligible. :)

--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis