Subject: Need help with Sun Sparcstation IPX
To: None <suns-at-home@net-kitchen.com>
From: Zachary Uram <zu22@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/03/1999 18:20:18
I have a Sun Sparcstation IPX. It has 32 megs RAM, 300 meg HD (I think),
ethernet card/transceiver (not much help in my ethernet-less apartment!),
and floppy drive. The hard disk is blank. So I need to know how I can get
an OS on it (Solaris 2.x, Sparc Linux, Netbsd, whatever)? This query
brings up the related issues of. What  kind of CD-ROM will work with this?
Once I get it what do I need to install it? (drivers? info already in
EPROM?) I doubt it will be Plug-n-Play. Unix is great but tougher to
install hardware. Also I don't really need a fast CD-ROM so does anyone
know where I can get a used one in good condition CHEAP? I also would like
to run ppp and stuff so I need a modem. What kind of modem do I need? What
do I need (drivers) to get the modem working? The back of the IPX had
25-pin  _______  type port. Someone told me I need a Y-shaped connector
       (_______)
which plusg into the 25-pin and yields two serial connections so modem
would plug into one of these? if this is so what is this part called and
where can I get one cheap? *Another* issue is upgrading to a larger hard
dis,. I believe the current disk is SCSI, so what type of SCSI disk do I
need and what do I need to install it? Again I am looking for something
used/refurbished and cheap. Even 500meg-1gig would be adequate. Please
email me directly also if you reply to this on newsgroup as well. I was
told I could use the other end of the Y-connector to attach a serial
printer in the future. My long term plans for this machine is to use it as
my 'router' for a private network and it would be a 'proxy server'. I
would get 1 real static IP someway (cable modem, ADSL? whatever is
cheapest) and then when this is set up I would assign internal IPS to my
various machines (a new Pentium system I hope to purchase in upcoming
months), an XT, 286 and Wyse terminal. So I could access these machines
from the 'outside' (telnet in etc., run web server) by using my one IP and
this IPX as the 'router'. Is this what they mean by 'IP Masquerading'. I
don't know what hardware/software I will need to do this so any help in
that area would also be appreciated :-)

Regards!,
Zach

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zu22
uram@cmu.edu
"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have faith." - John 20:29