Subject: Re: anybody know where the sun hardware faq is?
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/1999 11:21:35
John P. Refling wrote:
> http://sun-www.picarefy.com/sun-www/OLD/index.html linked to on the
> NetBSD site has not worked for the last several weeks (months?), at
> least for me.

Hmm, I've used the copy at :

	http://wugate.wustl.edu/~rachelle/sunhwfaq.html

which is still working.

> I have found some old suns, "IPX" on the box, but different board inside.
> They use a large chip labelled GX and user 72 pin memory, as opposed
> to the 30 pin memory I have seen on other IPC and IPX boxes.  Do
> we support this machine?

The IPX is not the same as an IPC.  The IPC uses 30 pin SIMM's whilst the
IPX uses 72 pin SIMM's.  The IPX also has an onboard cg6 frame buffer (the
IPC has mono).  I think the graphics chip is a GX chip - so that could be
the large chip on your board.  The IPX is supported by NetBSD

It's possible that you have something like a Cycle-5 upgrade - I'm not sure
whether these are supported.  There is a picture of the Cycle-5 IPX upgrade
board at :

	http://www.phoenix.net/~iws/cyc5ip.html

          NetBSD - the most widely ported operating system available