Subject: Re: Problems with xsrc X server on -current
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: SAVE MY WALRUS <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/1999 09:56:26
Ya know, every time I say something, it turns into a much larger
(can_of_worms *(*(*)[ARG_MAX])()) thing, and how the flames do fly
(not from me, least not at first).

Maybe I missed what you said in that you are looking into this, but
what, exactly, are you looking into, if I can ask that in a non-hostile
manner?

It occurs to this country wolf that TIOCCONS should be permitted by
either root or the person who owns the console.  I mean, if one is logged
in and on the console, obviously one has access to the machine!  I fail
to see a security hole at this point.

As far as xterm goes, it is a small patch to disable willy- nilly 'xterm
-C' flags:

	switch (pid = fork()) {
	case -1:
		/* print error here */;
		break;
	case 0:	/* child */
		setuid(getuid);
		if (ioctl(2,TIOCCONS,&Cflag) < 0) {
			_exit(1);
		}
		_exit(0);
		break;
	default: /* parent */
		wait(&ws);	/* presumes ws is defined */
		if (ws != 0) {
			/* print error */
		}
	}

That's small potatoes for convenience, would you not agree?

				--*greywolf;
--
Support Open Operating Systems -- subvert the Microsoft paradigm.