Subject: Re: Problems with xsrc X server on -current
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/25/1999 06:46:41
On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 07:31:35PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    	Is there anything wscons can do to help?
>    	Given it is supposed to me the console driver of choice across
>    	ports it would be nice to have a MI solution for this :)
>

> not particularly, as far as i'm aware.  any solution would already
> be MI, not sparc specific, as it would be in sys/kern/tty.c (where
> TIOCCONS is handled).
>
> there is already one hack in the kernel that hard codes the path
> "/dev/console" -- the check to make sure it exists, and warn if it
> does not.  this is purely something to help people who otherwise
> will get a 'hung' machine.
>
> i am investigating this issue again.  perhaps things have changed in
> that many years ... :)

What about not enabling UCONSOLE (thus making TIOCCONS root only), making
xconsole and its ilk setiud-root, but having them check for membership in a
special group (console group? Wheel? Operator?) this would keep the messy
hackishness out of the kernel, and be consistant with su (only members of
wheel may su to root) and dump (operators can use it)?

--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis