Subject: Re: Problems with xsrc X server on -current
To: SAVE MY WALRUS <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/1999 22:18:58
On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 06:59:23PM -0800, SAVE MY WALRUS wrote:
> Yes, UCONSOLE would work as well.
> This is a difficult problem to solve, actually.  Xconsole would need to
> be hacked to allow only local users to capture the output, as UCONSOLE
> allows ANYONE to grab console output via, i.e., "xterm -C".

Wouldn't the TIOCCONS ioctl itself need to be changed, since with UCONSOLE
and user could write/install a program which uses it, bypassing
xconsole/xterm -C? Maybe only allow people in group
wheel/operator/staff/whatever grab it (like su does with wheel)?
(A little program which just ran the TIOCCONS ioctl wouldn't even need X,
and would thus be running "locally" (it would even be handy for running
stuff like screen on the console, since you could redirect the console
output to one of your screens))

--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis