Subject: Re: defaulting SPARC to -fPIC
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/23/1999 23:54:54
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Since it's the assembler who cares about the difference between -fPIC and
> -fpic, I *could* make SPARC's -fpic equivalent to -fPIC for 1.4 until such
> time that we have a linker (binutils based, probably ELF) capable of dealing
> with the difference.
>
> The conundrum comes in with doing this for m68k, which is not so hot an
> idea.  The m68k platform is affected in the same way, IIRC.

	At the very least could we have both pic and PIC compiled c++rt0.o
	available and have pkglibtool do the right thing based on compiler
	flags? That would fix everything in pkgsrc without breaking the
	ability of people to links against existing objects compiled
	-fpic. The default could maybe be -fPIC, but I've no strong
	feelings.

		David/absolute

	Then let us live and love so that people will say;
	     "The devil as well as god... is an englishman."