Subject: Re: inn 2.1 dies
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/05/1999 14:54:00
[ On Friday, February 5, 1999 at 09:29:56 (+0200), Jukka Marin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: inn 2.1 dies
>
> > > innd is not setuid.. so I guess this patch wouldn't help. :-/
> >
> > You never know until you try it!  (There can be many reasons for a core
> > dump to fail, as the patch indicates.)
>
> Now I have news expire (the expire command) dying as well.  (Yeah, sounds
> bad, maybe a hardware problem (although this system was 100% stable under
> StunOS)).  In the news expire log, I get a message "segmentation violation -
> core dumped" but I can't find the core file anywhere.  Do you know why this
> might be?

That's even more weird.  I can't quite imagine how it could report "core
dumped" and not actually have produced a core file.

Unless you're running -current and have "sysctl kern.shortcorename=0"
then the file will be named "<program>.core".

One thing I lament about in a comment in my patch is that it's not easy
to log the process' current working directory.  I suppose even it's
inode number and device id would be better than nothing....

> This system is about 50 km from here, but I guess I'll have to go there
> and do the usual "pull everything apart and put it back together" kind of
> fix (hopefully, it's just some SIMM become loose..)..

That could be -- however memory errors should be detected unless you've
put faked parity memory into the machine.  I'm not 100% sure the parity
detection works 100% on older sparcstations though -- I wish I had a
test SIMM with a guaranteed bad bit that I could use to excercise it.

--
							Greg A. Woods