Subject: SPARCbook 2: no go so far
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.dynip.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/1999 12:04:44
It appears that the SPARCbook 2 (Tadpole Technologies) is about as far from
SPARC-compatible and still be a SPARC as it can get...

I've tried everything I could think of to try to run both the NetBSD install
and the Red Hat Linux/SPARC one, all to no avail. I keep getting unaligned
access exceptions, or other weird failures. Since the machine runs SunOS,
I've been able to get the miniroot dd'ed onto a disk partition, but the ROM
code isn't able to find /netbsd on that partition. Various attempts at
netbooting don't succeed either. The machine has no floppy drive, so that's
out, although I do have a CD writer if that helps.

A comment I saw in the install notes may be key: it says that the kernel
depends on being able to pass commands to the OpenBoot PROM and get results
back. The SPARCbook 2 has no OpenBoot PROM; its monitor is like no other
SPARC I've ever met. Does this mean I'm completely hosed?

Assuming that the machine is really that weird, anyone got any suggestions
for how I can get SunOS 4.1.2 the hell off of it and run something usable?