Subject: Re: qec/be
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Wright <jason@thought.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/1999 13:34:47
> The Sun 'qec' card was their original Quad Ethernet card.
> 10Mbit only, half or full duplex for each port.
> This card is no longer being made.
>
> The Sun 'qfe' car is their Quad Fast Ethernet card.
> 10 or 100Mbit, half or full duplex for each port.
> This card is still being made.  (Sun part number X1049A)

There are actually four distinct boards:
	qec+qe
		qec dma engine, 4 10mb half duplex ports
	qec+be
		qec dma engine, 1 10/100mb half duplex port
	hme
		hme dma engine, 1 10/100 half/full duplex port
	qfe (appears as 4 'hme's in a single slot)
		hme dma engine, 4 10/100 half/full duplex ports

I posted dmesg from my OpenBSD machines using these cards awhile back.

> (Note - unlike all other sun cards that I've seen, these cards have
> unique MAC addresses per port, normally, Sun ethernet cards just
> use the on-board MAC address for all ethernet cards.)

Right, only the quad hme (qfe) has unique mac's for each of its ports.

--Jason Wright
  jason@thought.net
  jason@openbsd.org