Subject: Re: qec/be
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Jason L. Wright <jason@thought.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/1999 09:07:45
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
To: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
Cc: port-sparc@netbsd.org <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 9:25 PM

>> I compilied up a kernel with this Saturday's tar-sources, excited to see
>> that there was a qec/be driver in there. Unfortunately I couldn't get my
be0
>> out of half-duplex mode,
>
>I have no idea why this is, nor do I even know for sure whether the `be'
>board is capable of full-duplex operation.

The 'qec' dma engine appears to be much like the 'hme' engine, so it may be
able to do full duplex.  The problem is the phy on the 'qec+be' doesn't
claim to do full duplex, and no amount of coaxing can convince it to do it
(nsphy when found on the hme requires a bit of convincing about full duplex
operation).  My guess is that if an external phy capable of full duplex is
hooked up to a 'qec+be', then the card might be able to do full duplex, but
the onboard phy won't do it.

--Jason Wright
  jason@thought.net
  jason@openbsd.org