Subject: Re: qec/be
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/1999 14:08:50
Paul Kranenburg writes:
> > I compilied up a kernel with this Saturday's tar-sources, excited to see
> > that there was a qec/be driver in there. Unfortunately I couldn't get my be0
> > out of half-duplex mode,
>
> I have no idea why this is, nor do I even know for sure whether the `be'
> board is capable of full-duplex operation.
>
> Is there anyone out there who can point at actual documentation of
> this hardware (on top of what's currently in the bereg.h header...)

i'm 99% certain that be is 100Mb half duplex only.
sun don't support it in solaris 7 at all.

in fact, i've got one in a ss1000 running solaris 2.6, and i can't
even get the card to run at 100Mb when attached to a 100Mb switch,
no matter how i configure the switch ports. the same switch (3com 3900)
has no problem with the hme interfaces on all our ultra class
machines. i was going to pull the card from that machine and put it
in an ss10 i want to put netbsd on, because i figured netbsd might
have a better chance of supporting it, or at least help in the
porting/testing of the netbsd driver.

(hme support would be much more useful ;-)