Subject: Re: inn 2.1 dies
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/1999 12:16:50
On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 05:30:27PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Fri, January 22, 1999 at 22:42:12 (+0200), Jukka Marin wrote: ]
> > Subject: inn 2.1 dies
> >
> > I have been running inn 2.1 (built from pkgsrc) under SS1+ for a few
> > weeks now.  Everything works just fine - until innd suddenly dies
> > without a trace.  No core dumps, no log messages (neither in syslogs,
> > nor in inn logs).  Sometimes inn works for almost a week, sometimes it
> > dies in less than two days.
>
> I dunno if inn is (still?) setuid or not, but in any case you might find
> the following patch (for 1.3.3, but almost identical for -current)
> helpful for knowing if a process really wanted to dump core.

innd is not setuid.. so I guess this patch wouldn't help. :-/

A weird problem.. sounds like some fatal error because innd isn't able
to log any error messages.. but the only fatal things I can think of are
running out of memory OR being killed because of using too much CPU time
(and I haven't limited CPU usage, so..).

Feels stupid to write a script to monitor whether innd is alive or not.
(Besides, running a script that forks commands on SS1+ can eat quite a
lot of valuable CPU time, sigh..)

  -jm