Subject: Re: options "BLINK" in config file for kernel?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, simonb@telstra.com.au, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Valentin Pepelea <valentin@netcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/22/1999 06:35:26
> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:28:23 -0700  Herb Peyerl wrote:
> > David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>  wrote:
> >
> > I don't know why _others_ are suggesting it and I don't know about you,
> > but I know _my_ heart beats faster when I'm working harder...
>
> I use the analogy that the machine has less time to blink the lights if
> it's busier.

You are both wrong. The _correct_ behavior is to see the LED blink fast in all
cases, but with a higher percentage ON times in high CPU usage cases. This
would result in the LED being rather faint in cases of low CPU usage, and
bright in cases of high CPU usage.

A simple implementation is to have the idle task turn on the LED when it is
switched in, and off when it is switched out... if there is such a thing as an
idle task in BSD.

I hope this resolves the LED issue once and for all. :-)

Valentin