Subject: Re: dial-in/dial-out modem setup
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/19/1999 16:57:30
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Greg Earle wrote:

> I'm used to the setup used by SunOS 4.1.4 where you can convert /dev/ttya to
> /dev/ttyd0 for dial-in, and create /dev/cua0 for dial-out as 12, <minor+128>.
> I get the impression that this sort of setup is not supported in our OS.
> Or at least not in the same manner.  Oui?

Our system generally uses lock files to avoid conflicts between
getty and dial-out programs. Instead of getty, run uugetty on the
tty, and everything should work just fine. (If uugetty sees it has
a carrier, but also sees a lock on that tty from someone else, it
doesn't try to access the tty.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.