Subject: Re: disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Label magic number or checksum is wrong!
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/19/1999 14:43:09
I know that Jukka is not the only knowlegable person who has
struggled with disklabel on the sparc.  In my experience with
several other platforms, the cylinder alignment is a suggestion,
not a requirement, and the error message from disklabel is not
helpful in pinpointing the problem.

I just looked at the disklabel source code.  There are a number of
machine-dependencies in there already, and there is even code in
there to test the alignment and size of the partitions against the
label's secpercyl, but it's #ifdef notdef (in disklabel.c:checklabel()).
Is there a good reason that this should not be made #ifdef __sparc__?
Or #ifdef STRICT_LABEL_ALIGNMENT and have STRICT_LABEL_ALIGNMENT
set on the sparc?  (and sun3?)

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com