Subject: Re: Is Sun4 (VMEbus) support any better now?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Robert D. Keys <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/1999 19:23:43
> Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>  wrote:
>  > The machine is now running 1.3_BETA.  I'm wondering if any VMEbus stuff
>  > has been fixed since then.  Mainly I mean the problems are the ie0
>  > network driver and the xy451 SMD controller driver.
>
> Sorry, I can't answer your question.  Your question reminded me that I
> have a VME capable machine and that I was surprised to find that NetBSD
> 'just ran' on it.  I know paul has made some minor mods to clean things
> up a bit since I brought it up but I thought I'd share it with y'all:

Question for the Sun4 gurus.....

How is a boot tape made for NetBSD?  I did not see anything in the sparc
trees that resembled the MakeBootTape scripts in the sun3 trees, or am
I missing something?  My machine is an old 4/260 with the Wangtek tape
drive, no floppies, no cdrom, nil home network to netboot off of.
Thus, I need some way to tape boot NetBSD, and the INSTALL guide does
not seem to say it can be done?  I am confused?

> It's a 4/690 with a dual cpu module in it... too bad cpu1 doesn't actually
> do anything...
>
> The machine also has a VME IPI2 controller and a couple of those 16 port
> serial boards; VME also...
>
> anyway, I was impressed. I'm going to run one of these at home now...

Sounds like a biggie iron... mine is a rather plebian machine with a
pair of silly 67mb mfm drives hooked up on the scsi-mfm adapter, BUT
I do have an external scsi board for it, but, alas, no external drives,
yet.

So, any way to tape-boot a 4/260 into a minimal NetBSD?  The INSTALL
guide does not seem to cover that method of booting, which is strange.

Thanks

Bob Keys