Subject: Re: pppd yet again.
To: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/1999 11:25:56
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Missing - presumed fed. wrote:

> Ah, someone _is_ listening.  I don't know, and I don't have an i386
> on which to test this, so it might be sparc-specific, for which I apologise.
> Can anyone reproduce this problem?  I've sent diagnostic and extensive
> debugging output and nobody seems able to help me.  This is with
> current AND ALIGNED kernel and userland.  I have to keep running a slightly
> older kernel in which, alas, I was Stoopid [TM] and didn't compile in
> PPP compression!  And now, because of this annoying problem, _I CAN'T_
> compile in ppp compression!
>
> Pardon my whinging please, but this is starting to become a serious
> handicap -- PPP is my _only_ network connection right now.
>
> [mail bounces after a week, so I can't forge onward.  Nothing in the
> kernel indicates that the other end is even acknowledging the data.
> The problem is that this wasn't happening with a November 1998 kernel;
> just December98/January99]

I hate to do this but `Same here'.  I built a new 32-bit kernel a few days
ago and when I tried to use ppp it would dial up but not connect.  I
figured it was a kernel/userland mismatch since my userland is also
November timeframe.  I didn't have the time to debug it so I reverted to
my November kernel.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me