Subject: Re: Config without FFS panic: Can't reproduce it.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/08/1999 20:40:08
[ On , January 8, 1999 at 12:03:52 (-0800), Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Config without FFS panic: Can't reproduce it.
>
> Can one still run with des/cookie xauthentication when one does that?
> Normally xdm hides away an authentication file, such as
> /var/run/authdir/authfiles/A:0-00221a so that all involved parties can
> have access to the same authentication keys.

I don't know.

I'm not an expert at X11 authentication.

What seems to work for me these days is to use "xauth" to move
authentication information between machines on which I want to run X11
clients, but which do not have an NFS mount of my current
home-directory.  Normally my home directory is shared amongst all the
machines on my local network, and X11 clients run fine this way, so I'd
guess that XDM in X11R6 uses ~/.Xauthority....

I just run "xauth list" on the machine I xdm'ed into, and then cut&paste
the appropriate line onto the tail of an "xauth add" command via an
rlogin/telnet session to the desired machine.  SSH does this
transparently for you, of course (though I wouldn't recommend running
anything but one X11 client per SSH tunnel though, at least not until
you upgrade to the V.2 protocol with proper flow control).

This "auth" cut&paste trick also has to be done for "su" sessions, since
normally HOME=/root and so xauth files are not shared with "su" sessions.

You have to do all of this anyway if you use a "real" X11 Terminal (I
have an NCD HMX colour machine next to me for netscape and other things
that require colour.... ;-).

--
							Greg A. Woods