Subject: Re: MAKEDEV is not portable
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/1999 15:30:59
Greg A. Woods sez:
/*
 * In case anyone missed the 2+2 logic between my post and Charles', let me
 * point out that all of those non-NetBSD systems on which one might want
 * to run the NetBSD "MAKEDEV" script but which don't have shell arithmetic
 * support in their /bin/sh won't likely have shell functions support
 * either...

Can I have some of those drugs?  That's gotta be a GREAT flashback
you're having.

SunOS, Solaris, Pyramid OSx (at least!) have shells with functions
but no arithmetic; HP/UX had the same until release 10; I suspect
IRIX and AIX have the same.

 */

I routinely recompile my /bin/sh with -DSMALL for installation floopies;
please don't kshify MAKEDEV.

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day.  (This may be pronounced differently in New York or Boston.)