Subject: Re: help with install
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/22/1998 22:26:29
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, /Eric McWhorter wrote:
>
> > 2.) Install NetBSD/i386 on my PC, which has a SCSI card.  Move the
> >     sparc's disk to the i386.  Could the i386 install boot blocks for
> >     the sparc?
>
> I don't think so. The disklabel is different-endian, and in the
> wrong place, the FFS is wrong-endian, etc. Some work was being done
> on this, but I don't know where it stands.

You can do this, but not quite that way...  I used my little-endian
pc532 to start up my (now dead) ELC by getting a raw disk image of
about 10MB in size and using dd to get it on a disk.  Move the disk
to the sparc, and ta-da, your up and running.  I assume the person
who made the image had a bootable sun4c disk with a mini-root or
or some such at the start, but I don't know the details of how the
image was made...

I'll try to do this if you like, but I only have a LX now (sun4m),
and I can't really test things out.  Therefore I think you might
be better off finding someone else to help, rather than download
multiple large broken images... 8-)  I think the new boot blocks
are 4c/4m independant, but I'm not confident in my current setup
or abilities to really help (other than to say it can be done and
offer a proof by example.)

Jon Buller