Subject: Re: help with install
To: /Eric McWhorter <ericmc@xsis.xerox.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/22/1998 16:53:32
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, /Eric McWhorter wrote:

> I do, however, have a floppy
> drive.  Is it possible to boot and install NetBSD/sparc from floppy?

It is. I don't know what happened to the floppy images to let one
do this, though. If nobody else has one hiding somehwere, I can
probably try to build you one.

> 1.) Boot via net from my i386, does a sparc use bootp?  My "net"
>     couldn't be any more than a null patch cord.  That should work,
>     shouldn't it?

It should work fine, yes. You don't use bootp, however, you use
RARP and bootparams. See diskless(8) for details.

> 2.) Install NetBSD/i386 on my PC, which has a SCSI card.  Move the
>     sparc's disk to the i386.  Could the i386 install boot blocks for
>     the sparc?

I don't think so. The disklabel is different-endian, and in the
wrong place, the FFS is wrong-endian, etc. Some work was being done
on this, but I don't know where it stands.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org