Subject: Re: le0: overflow
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/18/1998 16:09:25
[ On Sat, December 19, 1998 at 04:14:31 (+1100), Robert Elz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: le0: overflow
>
> Yes, however I suspect it is likely to be about the best that you will
> achieve with that hardware.   It isn't impossible that there's something
> broken, or marginal, in your hardware, though you'd think that anything
> marginal in this particular area would manifest itself with far more serious
> and annoying effects that lance oferflow errors.

Given the similarity between Chris' setup and mine, in combination with
your explanation of what the warning really means, I can only imagine
that it is some kind of a hardware failure.  Perhaps it's due to a minor
variation between different revisions of the sparc-1 hardware, or the
Lance chip itself.

I've got another similar sparc-1 that's headless and diskfull, but on
which I've done kernel builds and the like over NFS mounts, again
without ever having any overflow errors.

I can get the hardware rev numbers from the boards if that'll help.

--
							Greg A. Woods