Subject: Re: Connecting a scanner...
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/17/1998 13:03:40
On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
>: >But HP Scanjet Plus IS a SCSI scanner, even with a Centronics port.
>: >Does anyone know the names of the devices in /dev that control the ports
>: >on the rear of the SS1+ ?
>: >(sorry for my bad english...)
>:
>:   There are no parallel ports on an SS1+.
>
>In current lingo, `Centronics' does not necessarily imply `36-conductor
>parallel interface'.  50-conductor connectors with the similar shape and
>edge connector are oft called `Centronics SCSI' connectors.  (I still call
>them `25-pair telco plugs' on a regular basis.)  Why that hasn't extended to
>cover the 24-conductor {HPIB,IEEE}-488 connectors, I dunno.  ;)

  Yep...The current lingo is bigtime wrong, so I try to correct it wherever
possible. :)  "Amphenol connector" would be much more appropriate.  While
Amphenol makes many hundreds of different connectors, by far the largest user
of the connectors we're talking about (in any pin count) is the telco industry,
which refers to them by the name of their original manufacturer/designer.

                          -Dave McGuire