Subject: RE: Can't find $HOME after 1.3.2 kernel re-build
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Devin Ganger <devin@premier1.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/07/1998 10:49:46
On 007 Dec 1998 Tim Rightnour wrote:

(Now ^ wasn't *that* an interesting and fun typo? <grin>)

> On 07-Dec-98 Devin Ganger spoke unto us all:

> #  Did I manage to somehow clobber a library or something?
> #  What's my best
> #  course of action -- "upgrade" the box to 1.3.2 and see if
> #  that fixes it?

> Just curious, could you post a line or two out of your
> master.passwd file?
> (feel free to block out the crypt string)

Here's the appropriate lines from master.passwd:

root:FNORD:0:0::0:0:Root:/root:/bin/sh
staff:FNORD:99:20::0:0:Staff Account:/:/bin/ksh
devin:FNORD:1001:20::0:0:Devin Ganger:/home/devin:/bin/ksh

Note that it doesn't seem to matter *what* the $HOME or shell is set to; the
non-root users can't login.

The specific error message (now that my wife graciously re-configured the
other systems in my office to give me a priveleged login path to the box)
that you get is:

No home directory /home/devin!

Oh, just for grins:
# uname -a
NetBSD bofh 1.3.2 NetBSD 1.3.2 (GENERIC_SCSI3) #0: Sun May 10
23:24:39 MEST 1998
pk@flambard:/usr/src1/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC_SCSI3 sparc

--
Devin L. Ganger
Chief Systems Administrator, Premier1 Internet Services, Inc., Sultan, WA