Subject: RE: Ireland/UK
To: Edwards, Benjamin () <Benjamin.Edwards@DIGIFONE.COM>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/07/1998 10:32:48
On 07-Dec-98 Edwards, Benjamin () spoke unto us all:
#  I have a SPARCstation 2 and was planing on putting Linux on it but was
#  advised that BSD is more appropriate.
#
#  I know very little UNIX but think I need to get hold of a NetBSD CD.  The
#  Sun douse not have a CD drive but I think I will have to get one.  I do not
#  know were to get one from and was wondering if anyone could tell me the
#  relative merits of Linux/NetBSD?

Well.. to start with, you really dont need to go to all that trouble to get a
CD, and a CD drive, and all the related fun of making cdroms work with
OpenBoot.

you can instead:

Use the floppy install

Use the Miniroot install (install from tape)

or netboot the machine, and install.

You can download the release from ftp.netbsd.org.. Also, check out
www.netbsd.org for more information.  There is a file called "INSTALL" in the
release directories, that has alot of information that should explain how you
can install NetBSD.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org