Subject: Can't find $HOME after 1.3.2 kernel re-build
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Devin Ganger <devin@premier1.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/07/1998 08:37:40
Greetings.

I have a SS2 with NetBSD 1.3.2 at home that I'm using as my test bed before
I start merrily converting all my servers here at work. :)  Machine name is
bofh.thecabal.org.  I have one 1GB drive for /, swap, /var, and /tmp, a 2GB
drive for /usr, and a 2GB drive for /home.

Yesterday, I went through the steps to compile a custom kernel.  I was
fairly liberal about commenting out anything that wasn't explicitly
identified as being for the sun4c platform.  About the only truly odd thing
I did was copy the whole GENERIC/GENERIC_SCSI3 thing, since I used the
GENERIC_SCSI3 kernel initially and I was too lazy to dig back into by cases
and re-jumper my drives.  So, I used BOFH/BOFH_SCSI3, with BOFH_SCSI3 being
the target config for my kernel.

The compile seemed to go fine, and the machine booted up perfectly well.  I
can log in as root (via the console) with no problems.  However, any attempt
to login as a non-priveleged user results in an error message informing me
that it can't find the home directory -- regardless of which actual physical
disk $HOME is on.

So user devin with a $HOME of /home/devin would get:

  Can't find /home/devin!

And user staff with a $HOME of / would get:

  Can't find /!

As root, the mount table shows everything correctly and I can get to every
directory.

So, I reverted back to the GENERIC_SCSI3 kernel and power-cycled the box.
It's doing the same thing now.

Did I manage to somehow clobber a library or something?  What's my best
course of action -- "upgrade" the box to 1.3.2 and see if that fixes it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Devin L. Ganger
Chief Systems Administrator, Premier1 Internet Services, Inc., Sultan, WA