Subject: Re: PROM Pass: ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/1998 15:21:40
On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> :   Oh jeeze.  If 20-year-old VAX documentation is readily available, 4/100 stuff
> : should be all over the place.  It's not *that* old.
>
> Sun is notorious for "forgetting about" the existence of a discontinued
> product.  Ask them about the Sun386i sometime - and see if anyone there can
> even tell you what it was.

That's a "special case". I knew very closely the folks in EPD who did the
386i (aka "Road Runner"- it had YP stamped in the prom...)

> I was once told on no uncertain terms by a SunOS tech management type that
> there were no Sun3 patch tapes in existence anywhere at Sun.

Officially? Possibly not. Although both Austin Yeats and Alison
Polkinhorne (nee Faul?) are still there and probably have it in their desk
drawers.

> If there's doc to be had, it's probably not available from Sun.

Not true. It'll be in Documentation Control if it has a part #.