Subject: Re: sparc snapshot
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/16/1998 18:41:17
    Date:        Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:24:13 +0100 (MET)
    From:        Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>

  | A new NetBSD/sparc snapshot in release(7) format is available now

Oops - I had been meaning to let you know that I have made my SS5 seem
stable (no more cache flush related crashes).

If you don't want to know this, just forget I said it, and I'll deny having
ever told you, but I looked inside SunOS (as best I could using adb, no
sources) to see what it was doing, and all I could see was streams of nop's
in relevant places.   The significant point seemed to be streams, lots more
than 3, though I didn't actually count.   I changed the asm("nop;nop;nop")
stuff you added after the cache flushes to be 6 nops instead of 3, and have
not since (2 weeks and a couple of days) seen a crash that looked to be in
any way related (in fact, only one crash, a dup ialloc, which looks to be
filesystem related somehow, I have never before seen one of those running
filesystems that have been correctly cleaned).

I had been meaning to let you know for a while now, I was just waiting for
more uptime, so it was more obviously not just "less frequent" (which is
what the previous change really was) but "never happens", but it would have
been nice for you to have known this before you went building snapshots.

Apologies.

kre