Subject: hardware problem during preparation for netbsd
To: None <mjr@turbo.chaos.nonet>
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@turbo.su.shuttle.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/11/1998 23:02:55
Hi,

please excuse my off-topic posting.

today i "shot myself in the knees" and need help.

I own a SS 1+ clone (Opus 5120 ROM Rev. 1.2) and a Tatung SS2 clone.
The Opus has been configured as usual as a workstation, with a cg3
frame buffer as its console.

The tatung has been a server machine, i.e., no frame buffer. PROM
Version 2.4

Both systems run Solaris 2.5.1. I was originally going to migrate at
least one of them to netbsd (the workstation machine) within the next
days.

Now i wanted to change roles of the two (the opus is sufficiently fast
for lightweight server stuff and has space for 2 disks, internal cdrom
and internal tape drive, tatung is a pizza box with all its
limitations) and exchanged disks as well as the frame buffer.

The tatung came up nicely. The Opus did not (not visible on the net
even after half an hour --- enough for selftest and booting).

Re-installing the cg3 into the opus lead the opus boot nicely again.

Then i had the "glorious" idea to set input and output device of the
opus to ttya. I ensured that the other parameters concerning ttya
settable in the eeprom were set to their default values.
Probably even more glorious was my idea to set selftest-#megs=1

Result: Seyon on my linux box attached to ttya of the opus showed DTR
and RTS, Uniterm on my Atari as well --- and that's it. The machine is
neither reacheable over the net nor is it reachable through the serial
port. Well, not entirely: the "RNG" LED of seyon is going on from time
to time.

Note to the layout of the serial ports of the machines:

   The atari and the PC both have 25 pin ports with DCE layout, so i
   need a new "non-crossed" cable to connect to the sparcs' DTE ports (a
   testwise used null modem cable gave, expectedly, the same annoying
   results)

Re-installation of the frame buffer into the opus did not help either
--- the console has the usual two lines about the redirection of
    input and output.

Does somebody have an idea how i get back access to my machine without
spending money for repair (the box is pretty old, any repair will be
more expensive than the value of the plain cpu box)?

Thanks for any tips

Michael