Subject: Re: Adding a second 40MHz CPU to a SS10?
To: None <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/07/1998 22:07:51
> I may get a second 40MHz CPU module for my SS10 from another SS10 (which
> was upgraded to a 60MHz CPU). Are there any hardware-gotchas to be
> expected? (I know that NetBSD doesn't run on the two CPUs yet).
> BTW, would plugging in the 40MHz CPU together with the 60MHz CPU work?

If i is a 40Mhz module without cache, you should exect that it will
_not_ work. However, I heard reports that it might work for certain
combinations of HW revisions. That was under Linux. Do not expect it.

If the 40Mhz modules have cache (often called 41), it should work.

No, I would not combine a 60Mhz and a 40Mhz CPU. I think all OS assume
that the CPUs are of the same speed. If you are unlucky the resulting
system will run slower that a single 60Mhz.

Harald.