Subject: Re: gas.new can't build libstdc++.so
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/07/1998 20:51:50
On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, matthew green wrote:
> with /usr/bin/as being the only thing changed, i get this lossage
> when it is gas.new, when trying to link libstdc++.so.2.0 on my
> sparc:
>
> ld -x -shared  -o libstdc++.so.2.0    --whole-archive libstdc++_pic.a --no-whole-archive /usr/lib/c++rt0.o
> ld: libstdc++_pic.a(Cinst.so): relocation for internal symbol expected at 0x30
> [ ... ]
>
> this is with egcs (current version).  i have not looked at gcc (none of my
> sparcs have used gcc2.7 for months).

This problem exist for i386 with egcs and gas.new too, and is due to
some weak symbol lossage in gas.new (gcc 2.7 works fine since it outputs
different assembler for those offending constructs.) This should be easy
to fix, but needs thorough testing (and my sparc is slooow) so I expect
it will take a couple of days before I can submit the fix.

I intend to switch to gas.new as the default assembler for sparc and i386
shortly after I have fixed this problem.

   /Krister