Subject: Re: PROM Pass: ?
To: Edwin Mons <e.mons@spcgroup.nl>
From: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/05/1998 08:41:00
At 05:09 PM 11/5/98 +0100, Edwin Mons wrote:
>At 08:04 AM 05/11/1998 -0800, Rick Copeland wrote:

>>>I have the complete set of manuals that came with the Sun386i.  If my
memory
>>>serves me right, manual 2 contains a description of all NVRAM's at that
>time,
>>>including the Sun3, Sun4 and Sun386i.  I can look it up for you if you want
>>>to.
>>
>>You can certainly check it out, but I have several 3/80's, two Sparc 2's,
>>one 3/150, one 3/160, one Sparc Station 330, so I am familiar with what a
>>nvram looks like and I am telling you that the 4/110 DOES NOT HAVE A NVRAM
>>ON IT
>No need to shout...
>
>>(at least not like the 3/80, Sparc 2, etc.).  There is a 2816
>>soldered to the board and a clock chip soldered as well but no NVRAM chip.
>Well, isn't the NVRAM just a clock + battery + RAM on a chip?  At least,
in my
>4/60 it is.  Anyway, if my memory serves me right (I do have a Sun 4/110 at
>home, but didn't open in for ages) the 2816 and the clock are fed by a 3V
>battery, so the complete set is (at least from a users point of view)
>compatible with an NVRAM.  Therefore, you can edit it with the 'q' command
>in the monitor.

Sorry about the loud text! I feel that a lot of people are not really
listening. I can't get to the monitor.  After the system checks, the 4/110
tries to boot from sd(0,0,0) then bounces to the PROM:pass requirement.  I
have tried to access via ttya in diagnostics mode but after system checks I
get locked out there as well (clever little PROM).  I do not have the
original disk drive that was with the system and so I can't boot into it
and enter as root to change the eeprom that way.  I have tried to boot a
disk with Solaris on it I made on my Sparc 2 but it will not boot for some
reason.  I may end up de soldering the chip extracting the data, writing it
to another (sans the password) and reinstalling it (of course I would put a
socket in there just in case).

Rick