Subject: Re: Looking to make a Sparc bootable cdrom, any instructions?
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/21/1998 07:57:33
On Oct 21, Markus Illenseer wrote

>  I investigated the same topic, but failed so far. It seems you need to
> create the standard ISO filesystem (ie. using mkisofs) and then prepend
> or better integrate a "standard" SUN diskblock to make the CD look like
> a hard drive for the Boot ROM.
>
>  If you get any further instructions or help, please let me know.

You also need a /boot that understant iso9660, and a installboot that can
work on iso9660.
I was close to getting one working using the OpenBSD boot blocks,
but I didn't have the time to complete it (I got a bootable cd9660 hard disk,
but then I had to rebuild the cd9660 image, and I didn't have the time to
test it on the HD before burning it. Result: the CD is not bootable :(

I think sun uses UFS partitions on his CDs, this may be another option ...