Subject: sparc 1+ scsi problems...
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/19/1998 10:28:01
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this...

I acquired an old Sparc 1+ from work, which wouldn't boot and nobody thought
was worth the effort to try and fix...  after getting it home and opening it
up, I discovered that the SCSI fuse ("U2" I believe) was blown...  the fuse
right next to it (Ethernet fuse, from the docs I've read) was the same value,
so I swapped the two and then I could see the hard drive (a Quantum LPS
105Mb).  It probably has SunOS 4.1 on it, but I wanted NetBSD on there so I
replaced it with a Seagate ST11200 (SUN1.05G, actually off another Sun system)
to put up NetBSD with all the source.

My problem...  with only the one hard drive (internal) and nothing external,
(and NetBSD loaded on the drive - more on this later), the system boots up
fine until it come up with:

  esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x400000: rev 1
  scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets

(a pause here while it tries the scsi bus)

  probe(esp0:0:0) esp0: timed out  [ecb 0xf035xxxx (flags 0x1 dleft 2c, stat
0)]
  ,<state 8, nexus 0x0, phase(l 0, c 101, p 101), resid 0, msg( q, 0, o 0) >
  probe(esp0:0:0) ncr53c9x_abort: not NEXUS
  probe(esp0:0:0) esp0: timed out [ecb 0xf035xxxx (flags 0x41, dleft 2c, stat
0)]

where the "xxxx" value (1st & last lines) changes each time through (different
ecb's).

curiously, if I have an external tape drive connected (with a terminator),
which is how I loaded the software, the same messages come up... but if I
power the drive off and on just at the start of the above scsi-bus scan I get
"SCSI BUS RESET" messages and then the system suddenly see's the sd0 and st0
drives and I can use the system fine (and never get a scsi error while the
system is running).

Any suggestions?   I've played around a bit,but so far no luck (although I can
always get it to boot if I shut the tape off during the scsi-scan).  Can
anybody tell me what the error message above relates to??

Pete Hufnagel
"CaptnZilog@aol.com"