Subject: Re: ss1+ and audio
To: Wally Hinson <whinson@aracnet.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/1998 15:36:56
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Wally Hinson wrote:

: Hey, out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there between the
: SS1+/SS2 onboard SCSI controllers?  I've been running NetBSD on an SS1+
: with what the esp driver reports to be the original revision of the chip,
: and it's *slow* -- I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for the disk.

That depends how much disk activity you do on a regular basis and how many
physical disks you have.

My own subjective use shows the SS2 as having better performance on the
scale of 40-50% extra, but it seems to be more CPU than disk, truly.
Perhaps it's all those CPU-expensive context switches in the interrupt goo.