Subject: bootable cdrom for sparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/07/1998 19:13:56
Hi,

I need to create a bootable CD-ROM to install NetBSD 1.3.2. All I really
need is the miniroot filesystem so I can then do the FTP install. The
question is, what do I need to do in order to make a CD-ROM bootable on
a sparc? The CD burner is FreeBSD-current/i386 and the sparc is an ss10.
NetBSD would already be running on it if it didn't have some kind of
aversion to booting over the net (by the time the server receives the
RARP packets the client has "sent", the client has *long* timed out and
ceased waiting; the prom will retry forever and eventually get a reply
but the kernel will not and returns something like "Cannot open device
/iommu@whatever/sbus@whatever/ledma@whatever/le@whatever, Unknown error
code 60").

Is it possible to make such a bootable cd on an i386 system or do I
need to have another sparc do it? How do I get the boot code onto the
disc where the openboot prom will look for it? Any help is greatly
appreciated.
--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*