Subject: Re: FW: Question/Help?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/05/1998 14:42:13
> There are two things that will make the PROMs unhappy with a
> disklabel:

> 1. wrong "magic" number [...]

> 2. one or more partitions which are not whole cylinders in size.

> Alas, it gives the same error message for *both* conditions.

Actually, there's 3, an incorrect checksum.  (Sun-style disklabels have
a checksum as well as a magic number.)

But are you sure about 2?  For quite a while now, I've been labeling
disks with ncyl=32 ntrak=64 and ignoring actual geometry (since for
ages and ages no single geometry can describe the whole drive).  This
means either not using the partial meg at the end of the drive at all,
having a partition that extends past the real end of the drive, or
having a partition whose size is not a multiple of the label's idea of
a cylinder.  So far, I have been opting for the third alternative, and
have yet to have a PROM get upset at me for doing so - and it's usually
not just the c partition that includes that partial fragment.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca