Subject: FW: Question/Help?
To: 'port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG' <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher C. Tjon <cctjon@home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/04/1998 23:21:37
Last week, I received a copy of Solaris 2.6 for Sparc and decided to try
it..  I went to my Sparcstation 2 and tried to boot the CD and guess what,
a problem.  Looking into it for a while leads me to believe that I may need
to buy some proms but I would like your opinion.  This machine once ran
NetBSD/Sparc.  My ROM revision is 2.2.  The boot-device is
/sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@6,0:a and my boot-file is /kernel/genunix.  When the
system boots, you get the following output:

NetBSD/Sparc Secondary Boot Revision 1.7
Pk@flambard Thu May 7 3:19:25 MEST 1998
open: netbsd: no such file or directory
bad magic number in disk label
can't open sun disk label package
can't open boot device
ok

It looks to me like they have stored a boot block somewhere and I am not
sure how to fix this.  Is it in the prom?  On the boot sectors of one of my
disks?  I don't think it is as they should be clean (low level formatted).
 I am not sure where to turn next.  If I need to purchase proms, I will.
 Looking at the website, they are about $100.  Not a big deal.  Is there a
jumper or something that can be used to reset this.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris