Subject: Re: java?
To: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
From: Gerryt <gerryt@portal.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/29/1998 12:03:20
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Scott Bartram wrote:

::Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:40:48 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
::From: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
::To: Jack Culpepper <jack@cs.hmc.edu>
::Cc: port-sparc@netbsd.org
::
::On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Jack Culpepper wrote:
::
::> howdy,
::>
::> has anybody gotten a java compiler and virtual machine up on netbsd/sparc?
::> care to comment on your setup?  i have gotten guavac to work for me, but
::> kaffe causes the machine to hang (it's very strange, i'm not even sure how
::> this is possible).

I'm on the kaffe mailing list - according to one of the developers, the
Sparc port for NetBSD is pretty much disfunctional. I tried to get it
going on my IPX using 1.3.2 but even 'pizza HelloWorldApp.java' caused a core
dump. I tried the 'official' release and some of the latest snaps. None of them
worked.

Hate to say it but I had to use an i386 NetBSD box instead.
hate it when that happens.
::
::I'm integrating patches to JDK 1.1.6 for the i386 platform right now
::followed by sparc sometime within the next week. I will post to port-sparc
::and netbsd-announce when they are ready.

Maybe this will change things.. Hope it does : >

-g