Subject: Re: sparc audiocd device
To: Nick Holmes <nick@bluewave.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/1998 11:07:03
> I have a SS2 running the 1.3.2 NetBSD system, onto which I have
> hooked a sun external CdROM drive, which mounts fine over /dev/cd0a.

> [...CD player...] seems unable to find the correct device
> (/dev/audiocd) if I point it at the /dev/cd0a, the scsi-bus has
> kittens and insists on resetting.

This sounds a lot like my experience.  At one of my jobs, I have on my
desk a SS2 running NetBSD/sparc.  Attached to it is a CD-ROM drive:

cd0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <SONY, CD-ROM CDU-541, 2.6a> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

The machine is running 1.2G, a kernel built 1997-10-15 from source
probably supped a couple of weeks earlier.  The reason it's running a
system this old is that under every newer kernel I've tried, when I
fire up the CD-player program, I get complaints about SCSI bus
timeouts, bus resets, and it Just Doesn't Work.  (Somewhere in the list
archives for one of the NetBSD lists there should be a report of the
exact messages I saw in one instance.)

Personally, I suspect it was the scsipi changes that did it.  Someday,
I'm going to have to check out older and older kernel source trees and
find out when it went wonky so I can submit a clear PR on it.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca