Subject: Re: Is it really the disk drive or something else?
To: Paul F. Wells <paul@wellserv.com>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/22/1998 05:07:26
On Sep 22,  2:51am, "Paul F. Wells" wrote:
} woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:

} > My recollection is that the internal drives should be terminated.  I've
} > got all my disks in an external enclosure.  Surprisingly I'm getting by
} > with just a normal passive terminator, and I've got probably the maximum
} > length of cable on the bus too (3m).
} >
} > Internal drives must be connected by a cable no more than 30cm and no
} > less than 10cm in length, with the 10cm length being preferred.
} >
} > If you have all original Sun hardware then you should be OK on that
} > front, provided it's in good condition.
} >
} > Do check the termination....
} >
} The drive must originally have been unterminated.  When I tried to terminate it,
} passive/active, the prom would indicate an I/O error and not boot.  So I left it
} unterminated.

Unterminated is correct for internal SCSI drives in Sun pizza boxes as I
recall.