Subject: Re: Is it really the disk drive or something else?
To: Paul F. Wells <paul@wellserv.com>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/22/1998 04:53:49
On Sep 21,  9:53pm, "Paul F. Wells" wrote:
} Subject: Is it really the disk drive or something else?
} Greetings,
}
} I have installed NetBSD 1.3.2 on an SS2 with 64 meg with SUN2.1G
} hard drive.  The problem I am experiencing is that if I power off
} the machine and restart, the disk drive acts as though it has
} media errors...there are CRC errors, soft read errors, etc.  The
} system sometimes will not boot (short read) or panic immedaitely
} after loading the kernel.
}
} I have formatted the drive (several times) in two other i386 machines
} using adaptec 1542CF and 2940UW controllers, and I've formatted it on
} the sparc under OpenBSD using its scsi command.  Reinstallation of
} either OS is unremarkable and successful...I just can't power off
} the machine.
}
} There is no grown defect list, and since the drive has to be powered
} off in order to move it among the machines, I don't think the drive
} is the problem.  However, I don't understand the SS2 hardware and need
} the input of others who do.

I suspect either a DC power problem or a flakey drive that has a thermal
sensitivity.  What happens if you power up the drive and let it run
for the same amount of time that it takes to format before you try to
boot?