Subject: Is it really the disk drive or something else?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul F. Wells <paul@wellserv.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/21/1998 21:53:05
Greetings,

I have installed NetBSD 1.3.2 on an SS2 with 64 meg with SUN2.1G
hard drive.  The problem I am experiencing is that if I power off
the machine and restart, the disk drive acts as though it has
media errors...there are CRC errors, soft read errors, etc.  The
system sometimes will not boot (short read) or panic immedaitely
after loading the kernel.

I have formatted the drive (several times) in two other i386 machines
using adaptec 1542CF and 2940UW controllers, and I've formatted it on
the sparc under OpenBSD using its scsi command.  Reinstallation of
either OS is unremarkable and successful...I just can't power off
the machine.

There is no grown defect list, and since the drive has to be powered
off in order to move it among the machines, I don't think the drive
is the problem.  However, I don't understand the SS2 hardware and need
the input of others who do.

Where is the problem?  Do I need to replace the NVRAM?  Or is something
else broken?

Thanks much for any help,
Paul
--