Subject: Re: Fujitsu DS series workstations
To: None <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1998 14:29:56
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> > > Has anyone tried installing NetBSD on a Fujitsu DS series workstation?
> > > I'm particularly interested in the DS/90, the DS Station 7230, and
> > > another DS Station which appears to differ from the 7230 only in the
> > > use of a 40MHz CPU instead of 30MHz.
>
> They aren't exact clones; but I don't know just how different they
> are.  I'm still trying to find any sort of documentation about these
> beasts; or at least someone who has used one before...

	The clones I've used were somewhat different to the originals:
	an RDI powerlite - a sun4m portable, a bizarre axil ss5 board
	upgrade board with 72 and 30 pin slots, a DTK classic in a
	sparcstation form factor, all distinct (plus a straight ss2 clone)

> [... more info on machines ...]
>
> All five came without RAM; and only two had any disk.  The three
> that I don't have model numbers for have stickers in Japanese.  So
> far, I haven't tried turning them on.  (I was hoping for some info
> about what type and sizes of SIMMs they take, and if there are any
> slot-order dependancies.)

	Wish I could help you there - I guess they're 72pin slots?
	I'd try pairs of matched 60ns or better parity memory.
	(but which slot matches which is more of a challenge :)

		David/absolute

             -=-  "Promise carved in stone, deeper than the sea"  -=-