Subject: Re: Performance
To: Jesper Brondum <jb@ct.se>
From: Rob Vassar <rvassar@value.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1998 08:29:49
Jesper Brondum wrote:

> Hi
>
> I made a test (in life test) of 3 unix's to a ss1+
>
> ftp a 12MB file to the ss1+ (with identical disks)
>
> SunOS 4.1.3    699 kb/s    (8 meg ram)
> NetBSD 1.3.2   420 kb/s    (16 meg ram)
> S/Linux RH 5.1 510 kb/s    (16 meg ram)
>
> How is it that the difference is that big ...

  You seem to have changed the machine configuration (RAM) between
tests.  Did the 4.1.3 test use a SCSI/Ethernet (FSBE) combo Sbus card?
The SS1, 1+, IPC, and SLC have onboard SCSI & Ethernet that share a DMA
channel.  The ethernet has a higher priority, so when there's high
network activity, the disk I/O rate on the onboard SCSI interface drops.
  There are several other questions that need to be answered... Was the
other host system changed?  Was the other host idle during all three
tests?  How about the ethernet segment the transfer occured over?  Did
you make any router hops?  Etc... Etc...

Rob