Subject: Help with sparc port
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher E Maylor <cmay@knucklehead.gte.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/09/1998 11:22:53
Hi All..

Am newly attempting to become a netBSD convert.

I have a Sparc2 (4/25 seems to be the model), with 40 mb RAM, a 1gb hard
drive, presently running Solaris... SunOS 5.3 is the rev that shows when
the machine starts.

I have downloaded pretty much all the 1.3.2 distribution (binary) for sparc,
have loaded the miniroot onto my swap partition, and have made a limited
amount of success with installation.

The device for my swap partition (under sunos) is /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s1 and
the boot string I need to use from the halt: prompt is
boot /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0:b netbsd -s

When it boots, it runs through an internal test (?) where a string of
numerics is compiled onto one line....

Next it runs through a hardware check, finds the hd, fd, etc. etc.

It then asks if I wish to do an install or upgrade.  I choose install (though
I also tried upgrade) and it continues on to ask me for the time zone.
I enter CST5CDT as the time zone, it then shows the prompt for disk to install
to, immediately followed by the message:  "Segmentation fault".

This leaves me at a stop, wondering what to do next?

I thought perhaps booting from floppy might alleviate the problem, but I am not
certain how netBSD goes about making a bootable filesystem floppy, or
whether this is a reasonable alternative.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris Maylor