Subject: Re: Does NetBSD run on a Sun SparcServer 4/470?
To: Grant Miller <grant@cc.wwu.edu>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/05/1998 19:56:54
> A computer club that I am in recieved a donation of a Sun SparcServer
> 4/470 from a department on campus.  We are looking for a free Unix to get
> working on it.
>
> Does NetBSD run on Sun 4/470's?

No. A long time ago, I wrote the code to support the 3-level MMU
found in the Sun 4/400 series, but it was never put to the test
seriously due to lack of testers who actually own some hardware
to test on..

The NetBSD/sparc distribution kernels do not by default include the
code for 3-level 4/400 MMU. You need to build a kernel using the
kernel configuration option `SUN4_MMU3L'.

If you're interested in making NetBSD work on the 4/400, let me know..

-pk