Subject: Re: suntools/win* devices, pixrect stuff...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/02/1998 07:59:12
>> I realise that the majority of users out there think that suntools
>> is quite possibly the worst UI this side of NT, but one thing I
>> discovered that it has over BrokenWindows, and even X, is speed.

Well, yeah.  Half the code's in the kernel and thus guaranteed resident
at all times.  Move the X server into the kernel and watch it fly. :-)

>> The problem, as you might well imagine, is that the pixrect stuff is
>> not supported, and neither are the win* devices.

> pixrect is the fundamental object of suntools and it would be a real
> bitch to support this.

Actually, libpixrect would be pretty easy to support.  It's all the
kernel goop that would be a pain - heck, is the /dev/win* interface
even documented?  I once had a stab at a free libpixrect, got partway
through it and mostly lost interest; libpixrect and suntools have the
property that they are local-only (which I realize can be an advantage
or a disadvantage depending on the situation).  But I got enough done
to be certain that it's possible - if you're willing to just memory-map
the framebuffer and make the cpu do the work, which on low-end
framebuffers is what you have to do anyway.

Of course, this doesn't include pixrect support in /dev/win* and such
(do the /dev/win* devices support libpixrect?).  But it provides the
API, and it could be made to support /dev/win* pixrects if anyone can
pry the interface spec loose.

All of which is moot (except for the bit about kernel interface specs)
when it comes to supporting it under SunOS emulation.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca