Subject: Re: questions re. install
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Medland <Ian.Medland@parkplatz.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/1998 12:18:52
Crikey, that was quick

Ruibiao Qiu and Jukka Marin both wrote:

> >Coming from a system that uses passwd or yellow pages for passwords I
> >found the plethora of password related files in /etc a bit confusing. So
> >a simple question "how do I add a new user". I tried adduser but it did
> >not seem to be installed - should it be?
>
> You need use ``vipw" to edit the passwd database.  It will check
> the new entry for you.  Then, you need to add a group entry in
> /etc/group.  For the new user, you need to create a home directory
> for him, and change owner to him.

Ok, that's easy...

> >Trying to get X up and running it doesn't know which server to use. To
> >which file should I make 'X' link?
>
> I installed thru miniroot, and my server is set to Xsun.  It is a
> sparc 2.

I used miniroot - in fact it did not give me the option to install the x
based .tgz files so I had to do that myself. Does this suggest it might
be worthwhile reinstalling (it sounds like it got a bit lost - I noticed
a couple of broken pipes during the install)?

Again, many thanks
Ian